9 year old with cough, sore throat, headache, fever. Taking Motrin. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
Question
My 9 year old son has a cough, sore throat, headache, chills, dizziness and fever of 103 to 104. I gave him Motrin over an hour ago but the fever is still high. This all started earlier today but earlier, his fever came down with Motrin.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

All the above features mentioned by you such as cough, sore throat, headache, chills, dizziness and fever are of Pharyngitis.

Usually the upper respiratory tract infection is of viral in origin, and subsides within 3-4 days.

Your child would require symptomatic medicines such as paracetamol 3-4 times a day to reduce fever, throat pain and headache and povidone iodine gargles 3-4 times a day after food, to reduce the sore throat. Cough is usually due to the congested pharyngeal wall which will irritate the throat and induce cough. And, this will subside once the sore throat is relieved.

Also, encourage your child to drink plenty of warm water and warm liquids to keep him hydrated. If the above symptoms do not subside within 3-4 days, he will have to start on good antibiotics after consulting a pediatrician or an ENT specialist.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon