9 year old having knock knee. Slow running with abnormal forward posture. Suggested shoes with insole. Is it possible to get treated without surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi Doctor,
My son is 9 year old and has knock knee . He runs slow with a abnormal bend forward posture. Is it possible to cure this condition without surgery. What are the posible options? Recently i had shown him to a doctor and he advised him to wear shoes with insole. Is it good enough to treat the condition or is there a better option that we can explore?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

Knock knees at the age of 9 can be corrected with the help of shoes with insole as the growing ends of bones have not yet fused. The degree of correction achieved in this way depends on the extent of deformity present.
Wearing braces or splints can also correct the line of the legs to some extent. You need to add calcium and vitamin C and D3 supplements to your son's diet.
If all the above measures do not help to correct the deformity till the age of 10, then surgery is the only option.
Your GP or a physiotherapist may be able to recommend exercises to help stabilize your child’s knees and straighten his legs.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.