9 year old child is having high cholesterol. What precaution and cure should I take?

Hi Dr. my 9 years old daughter exercise daily for fitness and swimming we made a blood test usually every 3 month because she has high cholesterol 180 to 200 , this time we made other tests and here is some results that is higher then the range. c k total 443 bilirubin direct 0.11 s g o t 38.

what is your opinion ? thanks.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

As you mentioned that your daughter has high cholesterol, there can be a number of reasons for it. She is doing the right thing of following a daily exercise regimen. However, the following inputs would help in guiding you further:
1. Her height and weight
2. Any family history of high cholesterol/lipids
3. Any family history of diabetes, hypertension
4. Detailed dietary history

The direct bilirubin and SGOT seems normal range. They are not higher and are you speaking about different units? It would be good if you can expand what is C K total and write down the units as well. The range vary with units.

The best course would be to consult your doctor who shall guide you. In case dietary modification does not work then medication shall have to be given to control the high cholesterol.

I hope I have answered your concerns.

Wishing your daughter all the best.