9 year child stung by bee on arm. Skin gets red and hard. What cure should be done?

My 9yr old was stung by a bee 3 days ago an the lower part of arm whr she was stung, is really red an it's warm an now it's very hard is this normal?
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later

There is inflammation in the area where your child was stung by the bee which is a normal response of the body and that`s the reason of redness, warmth and swelling. I only hope that your child doesn’t have any kind of allergy in which case the response could have been exaggerated.

You may give her some pain killers like Tylenol and an antiallergic like cetrizine or loratadine. Put some ice pack on the inflamed area which will help in reducing the swelling. In case there are signs of superadded infection like pus formation, give her a course of antibiotics like cefexime. She will be alright in a couple of days.

I hope to have answered your query. Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.