9 year child having high fever. Has blisters on cheeks and abdominal pain. What could this be?

Jul 2012

My daughter, 9 years old, has had a temp of 103 + for 3 days. It started with being in the sun too long. She has blisters on her cheek and around her mouth. Pain in upper right side. What could this be.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later

Thank you for your query & shall attempt to point you in the right direction.

I note with interest your history & this episode appears to be of an 'acute' onset; however, am assuming she has never been exposed hitherto in the sun for long periods & this is a first time occurrence & there is no history of any family blood related disorders (condition called porphyria in particular).

The photographic evidence suggests a form of 'urticaria' commonly called hives; the fever suggests a viral origin together with what appears to be blistering (cold sores) over the right side angle of her mouth.

Don’t worry, it appears to be of viral origins & please keep the fever under control with simple basic anti-pyretics. Add a non-sedative antihistamine twice/daily that your local pharmacist/chemist could help you with. You can consider Zyrtec, which is available over the counter in the US.

Remember to use a sunscreen in the future that suits your daughter's skin & make sure it is applied as per due protocols & quantities recommended by your dermatologist. If in 48 hrs, you have no relief, please visit your dermatologist & you may require further investigations.
However, this seems unlikely so relax & keep her happy. I find children with a 'happy' disposition, end up with better immunity & here's hoping she recovers pronto.

Do write back for further queries, if any.

Cheers & Godspeed.

Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist, Cosmetologist & Venereologist, Bangalore, India
Follow-up: 9 year child having high fever. Has blisters on cheeks and abdominal pain. What could this be? 3 hours later
Should I be concerned with the pain in her abdomen?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 6 hours later
Hi there. In your description you had said pain upper right side; It was not clear to me that it was 'abdominal' pain. If these symptoms persist along with the abdominal pain, then yes you do need to see your paediatrician. I apologise for the delay as i was caught up with my clinics on the ground here. I do sincerely hope the pain has resolved by itself by now & wish your daughter a speedy recovery.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD