9 year child having fever, cough and stomach ache. Could he be suffering from dengue?

Hi, My 9 year old son is having fever and for last 2 days. CBC shows his WBC count as 2990 and Eosinophilis 7. RBC is 4.60 and PCV 39.60. Could he be suffering from dengue? He is also having cough and stomach ache.
Other tests : For malarial Parasite, WIDAL, SGPT, C-Reactive Protein are all negative.Platelete count is 1.67
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

The blood reports are within normal range. The platelet count though in range is narrowly higher from the lower range.

Lower platelet count is usually seen in viral illness.Keeping in mind present seasonal epidemics the possibility of Dengue could not be excluded.

I suggest you to get him examined and get the Dengue Ig M test done to rule out the condition.

The above symptoms and the reports can also be seen in any other viral infections.But its always safe to rule out Dengue in early times.

Meanwhile symptomatic treatment with Paracetamol for fever would suffice.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.