9 year child having fever and pain in frontal lobe. Drinking plenty of fluids and gatorade. Any suggestions?

Question
My 9 year old active son has had a low grade fever ranging from 99.8 to 101.2 since yesterday morning and complains that his frontal lobe persistantly hurts and will not go away. No stiffness in neck, no pain when touching chin to neck, no rednessredness in throat nor rash, c/o stomach hurting some yesterday and today with no abnormal bowels. Prior to headache and fever he had mild diarrhea on one occasion. He has been drinking plenty of fluids and gatorade. Any suggestions? I have been giving 200 mg Ibuprophen.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Welcome to healthcare magic!

The symptoms are suggestive of a viral infection.
Usually viral infections cause all of them- headache, fever, cough, loose motions, nausea etc.

I would like you to stop Ibuprofen and start Tab. Paracetamol 250 mg 8hourly
It is well tolerated and does not cause gastritis and is equally effective.

Ensure that the child rests indoors, gets nutrition and is well hydrated.

The problem is self limiting and resolves in 3-4 days by itself.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: 9 year child having fever and pain in frontal lobe. Drinking plenty of fluids and gatorade. Any suggestions? 1 hour later
Thank you. Fever is now 102.6 and now complains of lower back pain which subsided once he drank more water. What is Paracetamol and where can I find it?

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physicians!

That is pretty high temperature, you should not wait for the drugs to bring it down.
Rather do the job your self, take tap water and a towel and sponge the child to bring the temperature back to normal.
You can use paracetamol for fever and pain. The drug is available at all medical stores by name- Calpol/Crocin etc.

I think the advise would be helpful for you.

If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.

And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to post your view in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX

Follow-up: 9 year child having fever and pain in frontal lobe. Drinking plenty of fluids and gatorade. Any suggestions? 48 minutes later
Thanks but we are now at the er as the bile he was vomiting is now bright yellow and abdominal pain is much worse.

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Thanks for updating,
I think he has got gastroenteritis related to viral infection.
Had the child received Rota virus vaccination earlier?
Although other viruses are also fairly common culprits.
In ER it would be easy to manage dehydration and nausea.
I hope he would recover soon.

Follow-up: 9 year child having fever and pain in frontal lobe. Drinking plenty of fluids and gatorade. Any suggestions? 5 hours later
Thank you. Yes immediate diagnosis is viral gastroenteritis. They did xrays but no CT. Labs came back with white blood cells a little elevated and he was dry. Gave him phenergan for nausea and 500cc fluid. Also did labs to check or tick fever titers...will be a few days when those results are in.. Sent us hm to manage symptoms and told us to return if worse. Told us to alternate Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Motrin (Ibuprophen) for fever. Been doing that since we came hm, been two hours since Motrin and fever is 103. Just gave 500mg Tylenol and have in tepid bath to bring down fever. Just wish I knew what started the headaches and fever which as progressively gotten worse over the week. Vomiting and diahrrea didnt start until last night. Thank you for your help.

Hi XXXXXX,

How do I wish the child gets well soon.
I believe it's viral syndrome only but the fever is crossing limits, and it should have started settling by now. You can still wait for a day for it to come down.
Otherwise get his CT Brain and CSF Examination to rule out meningitis.
I would advise to stop Motrin which would cause more vomiting due to gastritis.
Instead give paracetamol(acetaminophen) 250mg(half tablet), 4 hourly regularly and tepid sponging if fever beyond 100F.
And add Tab. Ranitidine twice a day empty stomach, it would settle the gastritis and make the child comfortable.

Wish you a great XXXXXXX