9 weeks pregnant. Ultrasound showed died baby. What could be the cause?

Hi, my wife went in to her OBGYN last thursday for an ultrasound and checkup at 9 weeks pregnancy. They found out the baby had died (they said by the growth it looked like 7 1/2 weeks at the time). She was on progesterone, and she stopped taking that the day of the ultrasound. The doctor said she should pass the baby in a few days, It has been a week today - is this normal and ahould she be concerned? She is 42 years old. Also I wanted to ask about possible thyroid condition causing miscarriages - She has TSH total level of 3.5, but hasn't had the free T3 and Free T4 tests yet. She has had problems with hair loss/ brittle nails and loss of energy and other symptoms of hypothyroid. She was put on 25 mcg daily synthroid a few days after her first pregnancy visit.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later
In case of stoppage of growth of the baby in early pregnancy- a missed abortion, usually the conceptus is passed off on its own once we stop the progestreone support. This process might take even upto 2 weeks. Please do not worry. If your wife has started having a brownish spotting then she is likely to pass the products in next week or so.
Normal range of the TSH levels should be between 0.4-4 mIU/L. The rise of TSH levels can be due to subclinical hypothyroidism which is a mild form of hypothyroidism that has no apparent symptoms. In your wife's case, TSH levels are in almost normal range. You can get Free T3, free T4 and TPO antibodies done for your wife in case the TSH levels rise higher.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: 9 weeks pregnant. Ultrasound showed died baby. What could be the cause? 14 minutes later
So the process of passing the baby may take up to 2 weeks from the time progesterone is stopped? How long is too long to wait to pass the tissue? She got off the progesterone one week ago today and she has had no spotting yet.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You can wait for 2 weeks since she stopped taking progesterone and if no bleeding starts till then, consult your gynecologist for an active intervention like D&C.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.