9 month baby having lump inside eye and near eyebrows. What test should be done? Diagnosed the problem?

Excellent

Question
My 9 month old son has a lump
on the inside of his right eye..at the point where nose meets the brow... what are the possible medical conditions he is suffering from
Please suggest the tests to diagnose further and also give me a list of possible treatments.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

The most common possibility that I can think of after reading your report is "Dacryocystitis". This refers to inflammation of the lacrimal sac - the sac from where tears are secreted into the eyes.

This condition occurs as a result of obstruction or infection of the surrounding structures.

Diagnosis is achieved most often with just a clinical examination. Other test may be done to identify the cause/reason why this happened. Treatment usually consists of mild massages to clear any obstruction, warm compresses along with antibiotics - topical and or oral.

I suggest you to consult an ophthalmologist at the earliest for accurate diagnosis and to start the treatment early.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion. Any feedback is appreciated.

Dr. Prasad

Follow-up: 9 month baby having lump inside eye and near eyebrows. What test should be done? Diagnosed the problem? 16 minutes later
I felt it and it appears a solid flat round mass of size of a small shirt button..then checked some old pics and noticed that its been there for a while....are we looking at a orbital dermoid or a glial heterotopia?

Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

I apologize for the delay to reply.

Dacryocystitis is a swelling located at the area which I will describe as the inner angle of the eye. If what you described earlier "inside the right eye at the point where nose meets brow" means the same, then it is most likely to be dacryocystitis.

If my assumption is wrong, then please upload a close up picture of the affected area. This will be helpful to me to understand the nature of lump better.

Awaiting your reply

Dr. Prasad

P.S: You can upload a picture using the option provided on this page.

Follow-up: 9 month baby having lump inside eye and near eyebrows. What test should be done? Diagnosed the problem? 30 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Took my son to a seasoned Pediatrician today. After a quick examination he confirmed it to be a Cyst sandwiched between two layers of skin. He suggest a removal surgery before my son goes to a play school I am thinking of getting it done by December this year. Are there any complications in this surgery and what could be the approx cost of the same in India.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

I would have appreciated a picture. Nevertheless, I am glad to know you have revealed this to a doctor.

A cyst usually occurs due to obstructed glands and in case of dermoid skin caught between the sutures of the skull is the cause. More often than not, such cysts are benign condition that can be treated easily without much complication. The usual side effects are of minor bleeding during the procedure, post procedure infection and negligible scar. The operating surgeon should be able to tackle the above situations easily. Rarely this cyst can recur following the course of life and that would need a repeat treatment.

Though you have consulted a pediatrician, my suggestion would be to consult an ophthalmologist (who will be the operating surgeon in this case) for a second opinion before opting for surgery. Discuss about the nature of this cyst and whether or not a stay is required at the hospital (very often a stay wouldn't be needed) and the chances of recurrence.

The aforementioned parameters would influence how much you need to spend. With an opportunity to be associated with few patients with cyst in the eyelids, I know that the average money spent on the procedure by them is Rs 5000 INR.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

I wish a safe procedure and speedy recovery of your son.

Best Regards
Dr. Prasad