89 years old with vertigo and burning sensation on leg. Chances of MS?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am asking a question regarding my mother. She is 89 years of age and has had vertigo for quite a few years. The doctors say it is age and nothing can be done. She has had the test regarding her ears. The vertigo subsided quite a bit for a while until she had a nasty fall and fell on her head and broke teeth etc. She also suffers from burning legs at night. Even though she is elderly, could this be MS? She cannot get anywhere with her doctors. She is throwing up with diareah and due to dizzy spells. I do not live in the same state and am very concerned about her..
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be Multiple sclerosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The symptoms of MS may affect different persons in a different manner. But the commonest syptoms include -
* Tingling & Numbness
* Loss of balance
* Clumsiness or lack of coordination
* Weakness in the arms or legs
* Visual disturbances in the form of blurring or double vision

Also, there are various causes that produces burining sensations in legs at nights. A few of them are
* Peripheral neuropathy
* Vitamin B12 deficiency
* Exposure to cold
* Stroke
* Diabetic neuropathy

So, a detailed clinical examination and appropriate investigations are needed to establish a possible cause for your mother's symptoms.

Hope I have justified your query. I welcome any more clarifications