87 years old having rectal bleeding. Looking for cure

Sep 2012

my dad has rectal bleeding. He is normal otherwise. he is 87 yrs old and otherwise quite healthy.
my email id: YYYY@YYYY .
His stool has blood and post his fecal discharge, the undergarments has blood stain at anal contact area
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Rectal bleeding as you described can occur due to many reasons. However, as you told the presence of blood even after the fecal discharge, it definitely indicates to a lower gastrointestinal bleeding.

The main causes of this type of bleeding are -constipation, hemorrhoids, any local lesion (like fissure, fistula) and any type neoplastic changes in colon / anal canal / rectum.

So, what you will do?

If he has constipation, give him some stool softener.

Consult with a general surgeon for physical examination with proctoscopy.

Then go for colonoscopy and biopsy from any lesion if found.

After having all the reports the probable diagnosis can be said.

Let me know if you have any more question.