Ask a Urologist   »  

85 years old suffering from UTI. Why is she not treated with antibiotics?

My grandmom(she is 85 years) 's doctor will not put her on anymore antibiotics for her chronic UTI and they gave her antibiotics and she had to stay in the hospital. Why don't they treat her with antibiotics. She has had many UTI's in the past, but the doctor says uniless it burns when she urinate or she gets a fever he will not treat it. why?
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 days later

Not all UTIs need to be treated. There are a wide group of people with asymptomatic UTI that do not require antibiotics, they only require symptomatic treatment.

Burning sensation while passing urine associated with fever, is a sign of symptomatic UTI, which require antibiotic.

I agree with her doctor not to treat her with antibiotic unless she becomes symptomatic.

The conservative management that your grand-mom can try are drinking plenty of fluids especially cranberry juice, frequent emptying of bladder and syrups like Citralka thrice a day.

To confirm the cause, getting a urine routine and microscopy will be helpful.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back in case you have more queries to ask.