85 years old. Diagnosed with low heart function. How to treat this?

husband diagnoised with 26 percent heart function ..he is 85 and on different medications just what is his prognosis. aortic stenosis

Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sunil 4 hours later

CHF due to aortic stenosis has very poor prognosis, it has a 2 year mortality rate of 50%, if the aortic valve is not replaced.
An EF (Ejection Fraction/ heart function) of less than 35% increases the risk of life- threatening irregular heartbeats that can cause sudden cardiac arrest (loss of heart function) and sudden cardiac death. An implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) may be recommended for these patients.

I am sorry to say that your husband has very poor prognosis at this stage but we have also found sometimes these patients recover and stay long which is matter of chance.

You should talk to his treating doctor in this regard and inquire about interventions that may be helpful.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further question I will be happy to help you.

Dr Sunil.