84 years old. Noticed swelling on arms and hands. Reason?
User rating for this question
My mother is 84 and is bedridden. Her left arm and hand has started swelling. Why?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 51 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,Thanks for writing in.The cause of swelling of upper limb in bed ridden person is most likely postural and ideally should be treated with 3hourly posture changes and limb physiotherapy.Rarely an infection may cause such swelling but patient would look very sick and mostly fever would be a feature.Another cause in such patients is thrombosis of deep veins and a doppler venography of affected limb should be done to detect if a thrombus is a cause, it should be managed by a local clinician supervision.I hope the advise would be helpful.
Follow-up: 84 years old. Noticed swelling on arms and hands. Reason? 7 minutes later
Infection in the arm or in any part of the body?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 10 hours later
People also viewed
- Slimy stools in 1 year old
- Flutter feeling in vaginal area
- Polyp on cervix and itching vagina
- Sore lower back sides and peeing lots
- Flushed feeling in head
- Artery swelling in hands and arms
- Veins in arm and hand swelling
- What causes bruising for no reason on arms and hands
- 84 years old noticed swelling on arms and hands reason
- Pcos and neck pain
- Feelings of fluttering inside of head
- Swelling and pain to left arm and hand during pregnancy
- Hands feel weird from flu
- Fluttering feelings in hands
- Sharp stabbing pain when breathing in