84 years old. Noticed swelling on arms and hands. Reason?
User rating for this question
My mother is 84 and is bedridden. Her left arm and hand has started swelling. Why?
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 51 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,Thanks for writing in.The cause of swelling of upper limb in bed ridden person is most likely postural and ideally should be treated with 3hourly posture changes and limb physiotherapy.Rarely an infection may cause such swelling but patient would look very sick and mostly fever would be a feature.Another cause in such patients is thrombosis of deep veins and a doppler venography of affected limb should be done to detect if a thrombus is a cause, it should be managed by a local clinician supervision.I hope the advise would be helpful.
Follow-up: 84 years old. Noticed swelling on arms and hands. Reason? 7 minutes later
Infection in the arm or in any part of the body?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 10 hours later
People also viewed
- Intercourse after foot surgery
- Sharp pains after food poisoning
- My heart thuds sometimes
- Artery swelling in hands and arms
- Tendency to motion after food
- I had a bruise on my breast but it disappeared what does that mean
- Veins in arm and hand swelling
- Pressure in head after salty foods
- Orange urine after food poisoning
- My body temperature rises random times of the day
- My blood sugar is 89
- What causes bruising for no reason on arms and hands
- 84 years old noticed swelling on arms and hands reason
- Normal level blood occult in urine
- Swelling and pain to left arm and hand during pregnancy