83 years old has advanced cancer in small intestine. What is the life expectancy?

Oncologist, Radiation
Hi, my mum age 83 has advanced cancer done all we can over 3 years.Its now in her small intestine creating a blockage this now condition is in her 4 week. Other than the obvious what should we now expect? and how long does she have?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 49 minutes later

I can understand your concern; but the information you have supplied is not adequate. For better understanding of the disease, I would like to have more information.

Can you please give me the previous diagnosis and treatment details.
Please mention the details of surgery, chemotherapy (drugs and doses) and radiotherapy or any other treatment modality used to treat her disease.
Please mention her present complaints in detail .
Specially mention if there are any history of - severe anorexia, weight loss, yellowish discoloration of urine, nausea, vomiting, headache, convulsion, or any bleeding from any orifice.

Awaiting your reply...

Follow-up: 83 years old has advanced cancer in small intestine. What is the life expectancy? 1 hour later
There's no need for past 3 years of medical history its past tense Id be explaining it all night, she is dying of cancer. Started with bowel and ovary. Operation disectional,then Chemotheropy 50% tablet dosage only and over the 3yr period,too much and too old for 100%.
Growth slowly continued went to other organs, in lower lungs,in liver,shadow over left atrium of heart,most recent is blockage in small intestine.
Symptems:Nausea,Vomiting,No bowel activity for 4 weeks,Extended tummy (huge)
Basicly she cant eat she is starving. I just wanted to know what to expect ? How long can a body last like this?
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 14 hours later
I am extremely sorry to hear about your mom's condition.
At present, she is suffering from stage IV disease. Probably to start with it was an ovarian cancer.

Probably there is a little scope of choosing any sort of anticancer treatment, that would help her to get rid of the disease. However, there are certainly many ways to care for her and t help her achieve other goals.

Blockage in small intestine may be due to extensive metastasis or adhesion due to previous abdominal operation.

In case of adhesion, still there is a chance of adhesion lysis. If patency of gut lumen can be maintained her present condition can be improved.

There are other medications available to alleviate different symptoms at this stage, please consult a palliative care specialist for better guidance. Keep me posted for any query. I will always be there to help.