Ask a Urologist   »  

82 years old. Started frequent urination. Is this related to age?

I don't have a leakage [roblem, but for some years I have had to get up 2/3 times a night to go to the loo. I assumed that because i am now 82yrs. old, this was just something I have to put up with?
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Hi, What you have said is partially correct.
Frequency of urination goes up with age, and getting up at night is often a bothersome complaint for many XXXXXXX citizen which prompts them to visit a urologist.
The question is how much of a disturbance it is causing you (i.e. loss of sleep, difficulty in getting to the loo in nights due to arthritis, and consequently leakage of urine before you actually can void in the toilet). If there is a significant degree of bother, you certainly need not put up with it.
You might have to get a few basic tests done to see if you have any signs of a bladder infection, any features of late onset of diabetes mellitus, and also to check if you are you voiding comfortably with normal flow pattern with no urine left behind in the bladder after each void, and if all these are normal, you can be started on drugs belonging to a class called ant-muscarinics.
The newer ones include 'detrusitol ' and others which are available with a prescription. You might notice that you are not voiding very frequently in the night once you are on the drugs, and any urinary urgency and leak also might be coming down with medication. If you are comfortable, there is no harm in continuing the drugs and periodically reviewing with a urologist, on an average once every 3 months to assess benefit versus side-effects (A few of the patients (10-20%) who are placed on this medication tend to develop 'dry mouth' often to the extent of requiring to stop the treatment).
You can also try life style changes like consuming less fluids in the evenings, and restricting tea or coffee which are known to promote bladder irritability.
Hope I have been able to help you.