82 years old. Facing gas problem. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my father is having problem of gas it comes out through mouth for say half an hour or some time for 1 hour. I have already mentioned age is 82 and weight is 42 kg only
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 21 minutes later
The expulsion of gas from the gut through the mouth (eructations) is belching. Bloating may occur due to gas trapped within the gastrointestinal tract and this is often relieved upon belching.
Belching and bloating may be due to food, eating habits, or disorders in the stomach, small intestine or gallbladder.
The black colored hard stool is suggestive either intake of iron supplements or bleeding in the GI tract which needs investigations by a gastroeneterologist to find out the cause.
Causes of air swallowing that later result in belching include -
1. Fast eating or drinking
2. Mouth breathing
3. Nasal blockage
4. Hyperventilation related to anxiety
5. Regular gum chewing
6. Poorly fitted dentures

Treatment is by removing the cause.

This in mild cases can be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Take the following steps to help manage the symptoms:

1. Increase the amount of fluid he drinks, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.

2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person.

3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase the symptoms.

4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.

5. Chew the food thoroughly before swallowing.

6. Avoid drinking through a straw.

7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.

8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.

9. If he wears dentures, check with a dentist to make sure they fit properly.

10. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause him to swallow air.
If belching is persistent then prescription medications like Haloperidol, Reglan, chlor can help him which can be provided by your physician.

In the mean time, Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.

1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.

2. Antacids, such as Digene, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.

3. Food enzymes, such as Aristozyme, Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause him to have gas.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.