81 years old. Test showed high TLC count and neutrophils. What could be causing this?

Critical Care Specialist
My mother who is 81 years old has a TLC count 0000 and Neutrophils of 78 which are both higher than normal range. What could be possible cause of this?
All possible tests to understand reasons/causes of infection have turned out to be negative. These have been done repeatedly over last one month and various antibiotics give. Ech time the antibiotics are stopped the TLC count goes up!

reply to YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later

Thanks for your question.

Your 81 year old mother has TLC OF 0000 and in DLC 78% are neutrophils. Though both these count increase in acute infection but considering the age of your mother into account, myocardial infection commonly called as heart attack, is first possibility and CML that is chronic Myelogenous Leukemia being the 2nd.

In both these conditions total counts as well as neutrophils are increased. The other common causes are: pneumonia, which should be associated with fever and cough. The second possibilities could be UTI (symptoms of dysuria and or frequency of micturition. Third one can be throat or ear infection. The fourth one can be abscess anywhere in the body.

You should get your mother examined by Primary Care Physician to establish the source of infection and rule out myocardial infection and CML.

I hope I answered your question. For any further query, you are welcome to write back.
I wish early recovery of your mother.