80 years old diagnosed with twisted intestine. Started feeling depressed after operation. What to do?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
ABOUT 5 WEEKS AGO MY FATHER AGE 80 HAD A RUNNY STOMACH WHICH WHEN DIAGNOSED AT A HOSPITAL TURNED OUT TO BE A TWISTED INSTESTINE? HE WAS COUGHING UP DARK BROWN FLUIDS WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN BLOOD? THE DOCTOR OPERATED AND REMOVED ABOUT 500MM OF THE LARGE INTESTINE AS HE SAID IT WAS DEAD. AT HIS AGE THEY BATTLED TO STABILIZE HIM AFTER THE OPERATION. WHEN HE EMERGED HE NOW HAS TWO COLOSTOMY BAGS LEFT AND RIGHT OF THE ABDOMEN, WITH A CENTRAL WOUND WHICH WAS SEWN UP.
HIS CONDITION AFTER SIX WEEKS IS RAPIDLY DETERIORATING EVERY DAY. HE IS VERY CONFUSED, HE SUFFERED FROM LIGHT ALZHIEMERS BEFORE THE OP. YET NOW HE IS RAMBLING AND IS IN A VERY DEPRESSED STATE. HE IS REFUSING TO EAT AND DRINK PROPERLY, HE IS NOW IN A NURSING INSTITUTION SINCE FRIDAY LAST WEEK.
WE CANT ASSESS WHAT IS THE NEXT MOVE? DID THE DOCTORS FIND SOMETHING ELSE WHEN OPERATING LIKE COLON CANCER, A TUMOR, OR GASTROINTESTINAL ABNORMALITIES. THERE IS NO INFECTION FROM THE WOUND AND WE HAVE HAD ULTRA SOUND X RAYS TO CHECK FOR BLEEDING.
I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR PROFFESSIONAL OPINION AND THOUGHTS AS TO WHAT IS THE NEXT MOVE WE SHOULD MAKE?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

My first word is a word of reassurance, am of the opinion that it is matter of time only that you father will recover

Considering his age and emergency of surgery he will take some time

Regarding deterioration it appears he needs counselling

There is no mention of his vital data and hematologial reportd

Regarding cancer etc I think the histopathology will be conclusive

Get back to me with this information and I will try to clear your doubts

Wishing your father a speedy recovery