8 year old suffering from distended stomach and breathing difficulty after eating. Is this an emergency?

My 8 year old boy after eating got a disdended stomach which is interfering with his breathing. I am giving him a treatment now. Is this an emergency?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later

If your son has difficulty in breathing due to a distended abdomen, you need to take him to the ER. Yes it is an emergency.

Meanwhile make sure that you do not allow him to consume anything orally and please let him be seated as far as possible and do not let him recline or lay down flat.

Since I can not examine your son directly, I will have to assume the worst case scenario, hence I am suggesting you take him to the ER.

Any breathing difficulty is always an emergency.

If you can provide me with a complete narrative of the events that led to this, I would be in a better position to answer you better.

Please do write back with the following details so that I can give you an informed suggestion;

1. How long has your son been having this breathing difficulty?
2. Does he make any sound while breathing? If yes, please describe the sound.
3. Does your son have any pain in the abdomen? If yes, please describe the pain and the location.
4. Does he have any active respiratory infection?
5. Is he on any medication?
6. How did the breathing difficulty start? Suddenly or slowly?
7. Is there any association with any other event?
8. Is your son allergic to anything or any medicine?

Please do write back with the details so that I can suggest better.

Awaiting your response.