8 year child having blurred vision, headache. Eye test done. Should go for specialist advice?

Hello, My daughter (age 8) all of a sudden today mentioned that her vision was blurred, she was threading beads at a friends house and found it hard to see, she never mentioned it to me until this eve as were driving in the car and she said her eyes were all blur, i got her to read some roadsigns and she said she can read them but they are blurred. she had an eye test with optician 2 yrs ago and all was ok. few weeks ago she was complaining of constant headaches, have been to my doctor with this as she had bad tummy pains too etc and put it down to a infection she had and was given antibiotics, then 2-3 weeks later she wasn't well and extremly run down and had been for weeks and normally she is a very healthy child who rarely needs doctor or misses days at school, again he put her on antibiotics as she had ear infection in both ears, still very run down and complaining of daily headaches but he didn't seem to be overly concerned and said it will take time to recover and the antibiotics could be why she had very low energy. moving on a few weeks and she is a lot better and not complaining of headaches. i'm just wondering is this all connected? she currently doesn't have headaches but the sudden blurred vision has me worried and i don't know if i should bring her to doctor or to optician. thanks
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 hours later

Your daughter needs an evaluation by a Neurologist. She could have had blurred vision due to the acute stress of threading the beads. However, she has had few episodes of constant headaches, an ear infection. It is better to get an EEG (Electroencephalogram) done confirm that there is nothing wrong in her brain.

Do not give her further antibiotics for some time now. Please make her rest for a day or two, she can miss her school. In my opinion she needs to take rest now. Her blurred vision will soon improve. Give her plenty of fluids and fresh fruit juices to drink.

If she does not improve in a week's time, please take her to the Neurologist as I said.

Please do write back for further discussion on this.

Follow-up: 8 year child having blurred vision, headache. Eye test done. Should go for specialist advice? 17 hours later
thank you. i took her to my doctor today as this morning when she woke up she still had blurred vision and also pain all around her eyes and one eye is slightly puffy. dr seemed happy that her brain function is ok and the fact that she was well in herself, he checked her eyes over and eyesight test too and ruled out the need for glasses. he seemed a bit unsure by it all and said it was unusual that she was showing no other signs of anything so he didn't think any need to send her to hospital immediately but has instead referred her to a Paediatric Ophthalmologist. he has told me to inform him immediately if any changes in her vision or otherwise. any advice? we could be waiting a few weeks for appointment with specialist. what is the reason that you recommend rest? is it that she rests her eyes or in general rests herself. should i keep her away from computer screen (she has approx 20 mins a day on computer) and about 30mins of tv (more on a wet day) would this all be a strain on her eyes and making it worse? thanks
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I am glad that her doctor has examined her. In my opinion, she is just a bit stressed out and this could be the reason for her blurring vision. The doctor has checked her vision and has ruled out the possibility of need for glasses.

I do not see a need for her to visit Pediatric Ophthalmologist now.

The reason I recommended her to rest is for her to de-stress. I would like her to take rest in general, rest her whole body for a day, sleep a bit more.

20mins a day on the computer is not worrisome at all. Also, about 30 mins of TV watching is fine. It should not cause her problem.

As of now, please be rest assured that she is fine. If she gets repeated episodes of blurred vision, then you may go ahead visiting the pediatric Ophthalmologist.

An MRI is not required in her as her brain function has been assessed normal.

Hope this helps.

If you have no further queries, please close the discussion and write a review.