8 weeks old infant is having issues pooing. Can prune juice be added to formula milk?

Pediatrician
Question
My 8 weeks old infant is having issues poking, am i allow to add 10ml of prune juice to his formula to aid his pooing issue.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No juices allowed at this age group.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I can feel your concerns
I would like to know
1. Is there any history of fever?
2. vomiting?
3. crying on passing urine

I recommend to give her feed preferably by mother. If not use formulas but no juice should be added in this age group. Fruit juices will increase puking and can cause diarrhea.
Be patient and this will be normal soon.

Hope this will be helpful.

Dr. XXXXXXX

Follow-up: 8 weeks old infant is having issues pooing. Can prune juice be added to formula milk? 1 hour later
there is no history of fever. plenty of pee. no vomiting at all. when he does not poo, he cries a lot. His previous pediatrician diagnosed him as mild colic. I have read in forums that people do give prune juice with formulas.

Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its very normal for babies to cry at this age.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Some do give their baby colic drops and such juices but its better to avoid them.

As its quite normal to have coilic at this age goup which will settle at 3 months of age.

Yes, you can give her salinase nasal drops in the nostrils. That will help a lot.

He should get back to normalcy soon. I wish him quick recovery.