Ask a Dentist   »  

8 month child's central incisor came with small notch in it. Could it be a sign of a developmental delay?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question
Hi! My lovely 8 month old baby's central incisor came in and it appears to have a small notch in it? We don't have any history of deformities like that and are certain there's no risk of congenital syphilis. Other than this he seems fine. I'm scared this could be a sign of a developmental delay???

Please help. We are going to see a ped dentist next week but I can't sleep in the mean time.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 9 hours later
Dear,
Thanks for the query. A small notch which you are referring appears to be normal structure of newly erupted milk tooth. Dentists call them as 'mammilons'. They are very much normal and all anterior teeth are likely to show such areas. In fact it is sign of normal development. If you are still in doubt, please post a photograph of the tooth which I can have look and confirm my opinion.
Hope the answer gets you sleep. If you do not have any further queries kindly accept the answer.

With Happy regards,

Follow-up: 8 month child's central incisor came with small notch in it. Could it be a sign of a developmental delay? 1 hour later
Hi again,

I looked that up and it says mammELons only appear on adult teeth... Not milk or primary.

Can you confirm this?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 11 hours later
Dear,
Thank you for the query. The Mammelons are noted in both milk and permanent teeth.
with Happy regards,