8 month child having red small dots on face. Looking for cure

red small dots on face of our grandson 8 month old baby looks like pimples bright red.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 11 minutes later
Welcome and thanks for your question
I would be pleased to help you with your Question

Do they itch a lot?
Does he have them in other areas of the body?
Do they have a white / pus filled head to it?
Does he have fever?
Follow-up: 8 month child having red small dots on face. Looking for cure 11 minutes later
they do not appear to itch - they are not on any other part of the body - no pus no fever
what do you think the cause of the rash is?
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply. Due to technical reasons the answer was delayed .
The causes of such a red papular rash on the face of a child include the following possibilities:
papular hemangiomas
infantile acne
insect bite reaction
prurigo mitis
molluscum contagiosum
viral warts

Does anybody in the family have similar lesions?
Is this the first time that he has got these lesions?
Does the mother have history of severe Acne?
Follow-up: 8 month child having red small dots on face. Looking for cure 9 hours later
no one else appears to have the lesions. It is the first time he has gotten them Mom does not have a history of severe acne. How serious are those possibiliites that your listed we have an appointment with a Dermatologist. He is with three dogs at daycare, but so is his brother, and he has no signs of that.
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 25 hours later
Hi there. I read your description with interest & viewed the photograph you sent. I understand given the age of the child you would b anxious & the list of dermatological conditions listed, albeit correct & exhaustive, may have increased the anxiety levels. The doctor in question is apparently unable to comment at this point in time & yours truly is filling in on behalf of the portal. I do have 4 little kids of my own & empathise with your feelings of apprehension. At the outset, the 3 dogs may have had a role to play irrespective if the other child did not get the same 'boils'. Just off the cuff looking at the lesions they are most likely one of 2 things...molluscum contagiosum (viral infection) or an insect bite reaction (aka fleas more likely). It is good you have a dermatologist's appointment. Both can easily be remedied at the same sitting..the former can be expressed out by a variety of methods; the latter will respond to a mild topical steroid. In either case, the solution is definitive & your baby will be hale & hearty. Do hope we have managed to point you in the right direction & allayed your fears. Cheers & Wish your little one all the very best. Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India