79 years old. Triple bypass surgery done. Having high blood pressure. What should be done?

Hi my dad is 79 and has has a triple bypass 9 years ago and today his blood pressure is 230/? What should he do? Im scared.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 23 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
That much high BP is called Accelerated Hypertension in medical terms and is a medical emergency because it can lead to acute coronary syndromes, respiratory failure due to pulmonary edema that can result from heart failure.
And there is a very high risk of stroke.
I would advise you to give any missed dose of the regular antihypertensive medicine, even give an extra dose if he has already taken the regular dose and admit him to ER.
He will need monitoring and possibly intravenous nitroglycerin in infusion according to the response the dose would be adjusted by the clinician there.
He needs a physical examination by your physician and get base line investigations like Chest X XXXXXXX Electrocardiogram, Complete Blood Counts, Renal Function Test, Fasting and Post-Prandial Blood Sugar, Thyroid Profile, Lipid Profile, Ultrasound Abdomen, Urine Compete Examination.
This work up is expected to detect the underlying problem so a a fine tune antihypertensive treatment would be started.
I hope this advise would be helpful for you.
Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!