76 years old had stroke. Not able to move leg and hand. Should go for surgery operation?

My father 76 years old, he had a stroke 10 dyas ago, in the beginning his right leg and hand can't move them, but now he moves his hand 70% of normal.
We did today IRM, and I got some photos of this IRM, and I need your advice, from these photos will you be able to advise us what we can do? Does he need surgery operation? Or just Medecine enough?
He also have Hard abstention since 2 years, but now it's much more hard.
I did not receive any answer regarding my question
I can see 137 doctors online, no one free to assist us?????
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with additional degree in cardiology. I read your mail with diligence. I, on behalf of WWW.WWWW.WW apologize for the delay but in my opinion there are two obvious reasons:

a) You have mentioned but neither written the report of IRM nor uploaded any
images and your question revolves around this investigation.
b) abstention: English dictionary meaning of this word is not exercising once right
vote. We fail to see the context altogether. You can elaborate.

Normally, the type of stroke your father had signified occlusion in the territory of left middle cerebral artery leading to cerebral infarct. After initial deterioration in first 72 hours the course is towards recovery. You have also mentioned about 70% recovery in the movement of hand. With physiotherapy and active help, he should be on way to recovery slowly but steadily. Ypu have not mentioned about any past history of high blood pressure, if it was normal better the course will be. If on CT scan there is no hemorrhage within infarct again the prognosis is better. About blood thinners and state of his heart (thombus and rhythm) your doctor can tell better.

I would like to know about report of any images (if actual images can not be uploaded); condition of his speech, consciousness and recovery or arm and leg before I can make any further comment. Regards
With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: 76 years old had stroke. Not able to move leg and hand. Should go for surgery operation? 1 hour later
I couldn't send the images from this website, can you please send me an email address so I can send them now?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Dear Sir,

There is way to send images to website.
However if you want my email address it is YYYY@YYYY .
You can write the reports of a doctor that should suffice. In fact you can write answer to this question what surgery your doctors want to perform there and what they want to achieve by that surgery. I am sorry for the delay this time because first time we are tackling this problem that someone is unable to upload the images.
You will get a reply within 30 minutes of my receiving the images.
Dr Anil Grover,
Internist and Cardiologist
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: 76 years old had stroke. Not able to move leg and hand. Should go for surgery operation? 6 hours later
Ok Doctor

I just sent you some images of IRM of my father, it was sent from my email : YYYY@YYYY .

Waiting your kind quick answer please.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 39 minutes later
Dear Sir,
I got the images. I did not see anything where surgery can help at this stage.
I am sure he is receiving care for neurological deficit in form of physiotherapy, nutrition with diabetic control and prevention of bed sore. You had written there is 70% improvement in hand function. If the improvement in leg and arm is around 30-40 percent that is satisfactory. There is good hope that he will get better.

I had asked before, what surgery is being planned by your doctors? In my opinion surgery will not improve him more than supporting measures can. But the doctors treating him can have an opinion on this and I would like to know about that.

If by hard you mean there is RIGIDITY that is normal with stroke. It will improve. You are doing everything possible which can be done in 10 days old stroke. Insha Allaha, With the care you are providing he will walk someday soon.
Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover