75 year old had a massive ischemic stroke. Not able to speak. Chances of recovery?

My 75 yr old mother had a left brain massive schematic stroke. The previous afternoon she was admitted to hospital by her physician for pneumonia. Her Neurologist (essential tremors) advised not to do surgery or clip. She also had bleeding. Miraculously, she survived. She was in ICU for 5 days, PCU for 2, then to an Acute rehab center for approx 28 days. She is now located where I live and is in a skilled 24 hr nursing home. She continues with PT, OT and ST. However, she is not speaking, other than on occasion she can string a few words. She remains incontinent, and no mobility on right side. This is not about me and my feelings. I just want her to know "boots on the ground" for her to fight as much as she can. I know she wants to, but I am so afraid for her. I show and feel optimism when I am with her. My question is basic--does she medically have a chance at this point? I also know their was brain stem damage.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your concern

Let me explain you that the symptoms and signs in patients with stroke in the brain depends upon the location of the brain involved by the stroke, the amount of brain involved and lastly the cause of the stroke.

I understand that your mum had a massive stroke due to bleed in the left side. Though you have not uploaded an scan, based upon your data that you have provided, I feel it is a major left hemispheric stroke

Pl;ease note that the left side of human brain controls the right side of body and so your mum has right sided weakness. The left side is the main area for speaking, language and communication. The larger the size, the severe will be the problem in speaking, understanding and the weakness.

Unfortunately there are no medications that can improve these functions. These functions can be improved to a large extent by intensive rehabilitation and speech therapy and training.

Though it is difficult to say that your mother has a chance or not, I will suggest you to go for intensive neuro-rehabilitation in a well organized center with this facility. This will result in remarkable improvement, but slowly.

Hope this clarifies your query,
Please let me know if you have any concern
Best wishes