74 years old. Not getting proper sleep. What should I do?

I am a 74 year old male not been able to sleep for the last 5 nights, please help me

Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Sleeping disorders are quite common. However, the management usually involves both drugs and non-medical options. Sleeping disorders are frequent in people who are depressed or have anxiety/psychological problems. I would love to know if you have had particular events lately that have been disturbing. Drugs are also involved in causing lack of sleep (insomnia). Also, some drinks taken at night, especially caffeine containing drinks like coffee, cocacola and certain nuts.
I would advise that you try to distress yourself. Exercise also might help. Having a walk for about 30 minutes thrice to four times a week might be of help. Getting to be with your friends or family could also help. Watching film, TV programme that you love or a film that you love. Avoiding late meals and reading a book or newspapers a few moments the hour you expect to sleep, these might drive you to sleep.
However, persistence of this insomnia might require some rest or some drugs. Drugs range from anxiolytics to antidepressants. Persistent of symptoms with these mild drugs require an advice from a psychiatrist.
I would suggest you add to your drugs the simple measures mentioned: exercise, drinking water much more earlier enough to avoid getting up or interrupting sleep, taking fruits, avoiding late meals, watching tv programmes, tv, or newspapers. Spend time with your friends or family or loved ones.
It’s least probable that your insomnia should be coming from your drugs.
If these measures fail say in two weeks, I would suggest you consult a psychiatrist, he might actually be of help.
Hope this helps, do not hesitate to ask any further questions if need be.
Wishing you the best of health,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.