74 year ,severe scoliosis. Had nasal congestion,cough, turned to laryngitis, weak voice with swollen throat. Cure ?

ENT Specialist
I am a 74-yr-old female. Weight 140 Lbs. I take Lisinopril, Atorvastatin, Nabumetone, and Tramodol (I have severe scoliosis and have had cortisone injections for back pain). I am allegic to penecillin and sulfa and do suffer seasonal allergies. I had a sore throat in January with nasal congestion which swiftly decended to my chest. I coughed for two weeks and developed laryngitis. After another two weeks I saw my GP. He said my throat was swollen but ears and nose clear. He gave me an inhaler which he said was for asthmatics but we would use it for my swollen throat. There is little improvement. I still have laryngitis and a weak voice which gets weaker the longer I try to speak.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Vocal fatigue is a sign of laryngitis. You should insist on a video-layngoscopy or a video-stroboscopy for an accurate assessment of the cause of the weakening of your voice. A weak voice may result from decreased movement, edema, congestion or an 'air leak' between the delicate vocal cords.

2. A throat swab sent for culture and antibiotic sensitivity may help. Did you, or do you have cough? A chest X-ray, ECG, routine blood tests are recommended.

3. An anti-allergic, mucolytic, medicated gargles such as Betadine and plain steam inhalation may help.

4. Do you have any acid reflux? Silent acid reflux and gastritis due to long term anti-inflammatory medication and cortisone injections may be a non-infective cause. Lisinopril may cause intractable cough. Atorvastatin may cause a flu-like syndrome.

5. You may follow up with laryngoscopy images and the reports here.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.