7 year old with tremor in the hands. History of seizures. Normal blood report. Advice?

My 7 year old son had seizures as a child they stopped at around 3 1/2 years old (he would often have them when he was upset). He has a tremor in his hands (which I don't ever remember him not having) sometimes it is very aggressive and other times less noticable - and recently he could not get his hand to write his homework - he was trying but could not write - and more recently I received a call from the school because he had a particularly shaky morning . He had blood tests done all looked good.... what could this be and why is it getting worse.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

There are various causes of hand tremors, the commonest being familial tremor, in which involuntary shaking runs in the family. However, the cause for this familial tremor is unknown. Tremors can also be a side effect of some medications and can also be certain in certain metabolic disorders, like hyperthyroidism and hypoglycemia.

Rarely degenerative conditions like juvenile parkinsonism and wilson's disease can cause tremors. Certain conditions like myoclonus and a writer's cramp (dystonia) can mimic tremors.

I am sure this is a very difficult time for you. The bottom line is that I think you need to visit a pediatric neurologist who would be able to evaluate it further. Most importantly, that will help you figure out whether he has a tremor or not in the first place. A physical examination, including a complete neurological exam, can help the neurologist determine what is causing his hands to shake.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R