7 year old child, small soft lump under armpit. Causes for swelling?

My child has a lump under his right armpit he has just turned 7. Noticed it this evening when he got out of the bath, we are worried sick?? It seem quite soft and around 2cm long maybe
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

A soft 2 cm long lump in the armpit could be due to axillary lymph node swelling. In children it it most commonly caused by an infection in the chest and arm area.

Once your child gets over the infection, the glands become smaller and less tender.

Lymph nodes are part of the of the immune system helps in fighting against infections. They are like police man of our body, it pops out whenever there is ongoing infection in the vicinity and become inflamed or enlarged. The conditions may range from trivial infections such as a throat infection, to life-threatening such as cancers.

So please consult your doctor as physical examination of the lymph nodes and lab investigations are must to confirm and rule out persisting infection and other causes.

I hope I have cleared your doubts. Feel free to write to me for any other query I will be available to answer.