7 weeks pregnant. Ultrasound showed gestational sac and yolk sac present and fetal pole not seen. Am I pregnant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi doc i m 7 weeks pregnant ,according to my ultrasound reports gestational sac and yolk sac are present but fetal pole is not seen ,,so what does mean,,m i pregnant or not???
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 19 minutes later

In case of accurate dates usually by 6 to 7 weeks fetal pole along with cardiac activity should be seen in ultrasound.
So according to your scan report there is possibility of blighted ovum.
It is a type of abnormal pregnancy.
In which the gestational sac develops without fetal pole.
As there is no fetus now you have to undergo termination of pregnancy.
As it is 7 weeks you can go for medical termination.
If you are not sure of dates and having history of irregular periods you can wait for one more week and go for repeat scan.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 7 weeks pregnant. Ultrasound showed gestational sac and yolk sac present and fetal pole not seen. Am I pregnant? 22 minutes later
I got ur answer doc ,let me make you aware of that my dates were not accurate and so my doc advised me to wait for 2 weeks more and then after she advised me of 1 more ultra sound ,also she has asked me to take the injection ..name of injection is HUCOG 5000 IV..

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 minutes later
If you are not sure of dates better to follow your doctor's advice, possibly by that time the fetal pole can be seen.
The injection contains human chorionic gonadotropin which will help in the growth of the fetus in case of deficient natural production.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.