7 weeks pregnant. Took wysolone 10mg. Will there be any problem at this stage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
hi, My name is XXXXXXX and this is for my wife, she is 29 years old. and she is now 7 weeks pregnant. She had Wysolone 10mg while she was two weeks conceived. first day she had 2 tab in the morning and 2 tab in the evening from the next day morning and evening one each and she continued its for a week. Please tell me is there any problem in this stage.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Wysolone which is prednisolone, comes under category C drugs in pregnancy according to FDA.
Means animal studies showed some adverse effect on fetus but sufficient human studies are lacking.
Some studies showed that there is slight increased risk of cleft lip or palate, premature delivery, low birth weight etc in the babies of the mothers who too prednisolone.
But these studies failed to show significant relationship between the drug and anomalies.
So now let your wife undergo ultrasound to rule out any possible anomalies.
If everything is normal now, let her continue with regular checkups and ultrasound examinations in future under care of gynecologist.
By this any abnormality can be detected at the earliest and needed treatment can be given.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 7 weeks pregnant. Took wysolone 10mg. Will there be any problem at this stage? 7 minutes later
thanks for the reply., we done two scanning, shall I upload it for your review? and when doctor saw the report she told no problem, but when we told her we had Wysolone at the early stage., that time our doctor told that this is not safe medicing at the stage of conceiving. so she recommended for termination., so we worried and consulted two other gynec. but they told no problem go ahead., but I wanted to know any problum with baby and any side effects with this Wysolone, that she had at conceiving time?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 47 minutes later

Cleft lip and cleft palate are the complications that can occur when the drug is taken during early pregnancy.
But As I told there are no proved studies regarding this.
One option is:
Usually trans abdominal scan can detect cleft lip at around 16 t 18 weeks.
Sometimes trans vaginal scan can detect at around 10 to 12 weeks depending on the experience of the sonologist.
So if you want to take a chance, wait till that gestational age and let your wife undergo trans vaginal ultrasound.
Then depending on the result you can decide further action.
If you want you can upload the reports but these anomalies usually not identified in early scans.

Wishing good health to your wife, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 7 weeks pregnant. Took wysolone 10mg. Will there be any problem at this stage? 17 hours later

Could you please tell me the dose which she took was high risk or normal. That time her weight was 81 and she took 10mg x 2 morning and evening for three days and 10mg x 1 morning and evening for three days. Total six days. The days she started medicine was her fifth or sixth day of conceive. And will That effect in any case like you mentioned in the earlier reply. And please tell me the scanning name and details which shows all information about baby like any deformities an all.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

Usually it is told that when the prednisolone is taken throughout the first trimester(first 12weeks) with a dose of > 10mg/day, the risk of cleft lip and cleft palate will increase by three fold.
Dosage less than 10mg/day is considered relatively safe.
But as she took the tablets for limited period of time possibly the risk will be very low.
Actually the routine anomaly scan will be done at around 18 to 22 weeks called TIFFA(Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) scan.
But according to some studies it is said that cleft lip can be diagnosed at around 10 to 12 weeks by trans vaginal ultrasound when done by experienced sonologist.
So I suggested that, but remember this is only a possibility.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.