7 weeks pregnant. Scan showed cyst outside ovary. Is there any complication in pregnancy?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
I am pregnant since 7 weeks. Today while doing my scanning they diagoinied i have a cyst outside my left overy which is 9cm.
Iam very scared now,please help me with the below douts-
1) Will this hamper my pregnancy?
2) Is there any restrction on my health of this now?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 30 hours later
Let me begin by saying that please don't be scared of anything. Nothing will be achieved by your fear. In fact it may cause stress to you and the baby.
You have a 9 cms cyst outside the ovary.
Please get a repeat ultrasound done to confirm this - the size as well as the location of the cyst. Nowadays, just this much of a report is not considered enough to make a diagnosis. On ultrasound, one can make out the exact location and nature/type of cyst as well as presence of other abnormal features around it.

If you have conceived this pregnancy after taking medicines then this cyst could be part of the ovary which supports the pregnancy but has become too large and abnormal. This is what is known as OHSS (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome). Its best then to leave it but only under your doctor's supervision that it doesn't cause any rupture.
Most probably this cyst is NOT a cancer but the situation will be more clear after a good, detailed ultrasound examination.

Your specific doubts:
1) If this cyst if arising from the ovary then it MUST be removed otherwise it can get infected or may twist and become gangrenous or rupture or cause problems when you have to deliver the baby.
The best time to remove cysts of ovary is in the second trimester i.e. after the first 3 months of pregnancy are over. This is because it is safest to do the surgery at this time with least problems to the growing baby. With modern anaesthesia you need not fear unnecessarily because generally all goes well.

Your doctor, however, will councel you that there may be a small risk of abortion. Since the benefit of removing ovarian cyats is very high, a small risk of abortion is acceptable.
Please remember that NOTHING in medical sciences is 100% risk free but your problem is not a very serious problem at this moment since it can be cured easily. Once this is removed and the nature of the cyst is confirmed as benign, the rest of your pregnancy is likely to proceed without any problems.

2) At this moment, since size of cyst (9 cms) is actually very large, may i suggest that you do not lift any heavy weights; don't do any exercises or gym just now and avoid sex. We are concerned that with any impact the cyst may rupture.

Remain alert to symptoms of pain in the abdomen (stomach), excessive vomitting, constipation, sense of fullness, increased frequency of passing urine - all of which may indicate either a twist of this cyst or rupture or pressure on other organs.
If any of these symptoms come, contact your doctor immediately.
I hope this answers your queries very clearly.
Take care,
Dr Nirja Chawla