7 weeks child having yellow and watery stools. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Neonatology

My 7 week old son has been having yellow but very wattery stools over the last 6 hours (at least 3 liquid diapers) and has vomited twice. He's normally a breastfed baby but I gave him formula last night in case it was something in my breastmilk that was upsetting him. He doesn't have a fever (his temperature was 36.5c the last time I checked him). Could something in my breastmilk be making him sick? Should I be concerned and take him into hospital?
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 47 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic.
I understand your concern with this illness.
First of all nothing can go wrong with beast milk.
So please resist from thinking that it could be the cause.
Just giving formula once ot twice is ok if absolutely necessary.
Vomiting may happen with it but not watery stools!
This may be a viral infection.
In this case of vomiting and loose stools, you have to give the baby some oral electrolytes ( pediatric preparations).
Being a very small baby (7 wks) and both vomiting and diarrhoea,it is better for you to take the baby to ER.( to avoid the baby getting dehydrated.
All the best
Dr Uma