7 week infant has a green patch on tongue, gastric reflux, sticky stools. What can this be ?

my 7 week infant has a XXXXXXX patch on her tongue? what does that mean? she also has gastric reflex. Could that be the cause or oral thrush.She also has green' sticky loose stools. At times she also has loose yellow stool but mostly they are XXXXXXX she has excessive gas and foul smelling gas.
She is on formula enfamil newborn and drinks only about 1- 2 ounces per feeding.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 8 hours later

Congratulations for your new motherhood. Let me first tell you that there is no better feed than mother's milk for young infant.

The only normal body fluid that is XXXXXXX is say bile. All other XXXXXXX things in humans when not related to bile, are related to either sugar indigestion or some sort of gut infection or infection with some other bacteria (I can name few but wont as it will not help you any way).

Excess gas and foul smell at times can be due to formulas with heavy sugar and fat contents, and baby finding it not to easy to digest. Often this may be termed as malabsorption or intolerance. Changing over to lactose free formula may help you overcome the situation if its is related to this.

More serious reason for same can be like a gut infection due to bacteria contaminated through hands water or bottle.

I would request you to:
1. understand danger symptoms of dehydration, visit WWW.WWWW.WW 2.get stool tested for Ph and sugars, if positive, lactose free formulas can surely help.
3. get stool tested for culture, and get the tongue XXXXXXX scrapings for microscopy.
4. check for weight gain or loss and frequency of urine ( it should be normal if no serious dehydration)

All this should preferably be done under prescription from a pediatric specialist or resident nurse.

If you have any doubts , i would be happy to answer them.

Follow-up: 7 week infant has a green patch on tongue, gastric reflux, sticky stools. What can this be ? 15 hours later
Thank you for your response.

I am a registered nurse and i am wondering if i should take her to the emergency room at rule out infection or wait to see her pediatrician. she has not had fevers.
As you mentioned about possible dehydration i have noticed that there are some nights where her diapers are dry after about 6 to 7 hours of sleep. Her fontanelles are not sunken but she does eat only about 1 ounce to 2 ounces only per feeding ( every 2-3 hours). she was born at 5 lbs 6 ounces at 41 weeks and at her 2 week vist was weighing 6.6 lbs. she has not grown much and still wears newborn clothing and diapers.
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 21 hours later

In online consultations, medicolegal issues imply that whenever you feel like visiting emergency department.. even had a doubt; its better to visit once and clarify as you may never know what emergency may be associated.
Read details about dehydration at WWW.WWWW.WW
she definitely has reduced intake, improve the frequency of feeds. Discuss with your doctor regarding a formula change that may cause less issues of indigestion,and improve weight gain further.

feel free to ask any further doubts. please do visit ER with print out of the answer.