69 years old suffering from the interstitial lung disease. Safe to take breath power extra?

Question
can breath power extra will be useful for a 69 yrs old male suffering from the Interstitial Lung disease?

Thanks,

XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later

Breath Power Extra is a supplement, therefore, its effect on interstitial lung disease is unclear. Though it may be beneficial, it may also cause harm. In addition, it can also interfere with some of your other medications. In particular, it contains ephedra which can be very XXXXXXX Though interstitial lung disease is terribly difficult to treat, there are other safer and more effective agents to consider.
Before taking this, please consult your treating physician who know which medications you have tried, not tried and are currently taking.

Hope I had answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.

Thank you.

Follow-up: 69 years old suffering from the interstitial lung disease. Safe to take breath power extra? 15 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your reply.
In case apart from the Allopathy medicines that we are taking consulting with our Physician , can you pls suggest any other supportive medicines in Naturopathy as well as Ayurveda.
Also I want to know more about the hazards taking all theses pathies together.
What should be the ideal line of treatment given in your country for the ILD.
What should be the regular day today activities that an ILD patient should follow?

Thanks in advance.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 hours later
XXXXXXX
I am not an expert in Ayurveda and naturopathic medicines. Though I am not against them, I do not normally recommend them because there is little evidence that they work (not that they don't work, there is just not enough research to back them up).
The main hazards is that most formulations such as the Breath Power Extra you are referring to have so many ingredients, each which can interact with something else.
As far as ILD, there are limited options. Most medications suppress the immune system and are therefore toxic and also don't always work that well. Transplant is becoming more in favor given the improvements in techniques.

Let me know if you have any queries further else you may close this discussion and rate my answer.