69 years old. Experiencing dry ejaculations. Taking BP medicine. Related?

Sep 2012

Hi. I'm an older male(age 69) and have been experiencing dry ejaculations. I know that age may be a factor and I'm wondering if the blood pressure meds I take (apo amoldpine and valsartan) could be contributing factors?
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 15 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description sounds like possibility of retrograde ejaculation. It may occur due to neuropathy, urethral stricture and in some other conditions.

The drugs you are taking has no such side effects. Other drugs like tamsulosin can cause this type of problem.

To come to a diagnosis, you have to be examined clinically. After that a routine urine examination is necessary right after the dry ejaculation. If semen is found to be present in urine, then diagnosis is confirmed.

In this condition, Tricyclic antidepressants like imipramine is mainly used. Other antihistaminics like chlorphenamine may also be used.

So, you should consult with urologist in person for detailed clinical examination and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.