67 years old with body tremor. Chances of Parkinson?

Hi Doctor,
My father is aged 67 and has body tremors which range from tremor and shaking of head to hands and sometimes entire body. During preliminary checks it was said to be something other than Titubation. Some Doctors suggested it could be Parkinson at an early stage though not confirmed. He does all other things perfectly well and has no issues in any day to day activities. The tremors however keep increasing which is making him more and more weak both physically and emotionally. I have no clue which tests are to be done or how to diagnose the problem? Any help would be highly appreciated.
My email id is ' YYYY@YYYY '.
wishes, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing your query to us.

Based on the symptoms you had mentioned, it is possible that your dad has Parkinson’s at early stage.It is difficult to comment what it is due to without physically examining patient.

I would suggest you take second opinion from an experienced Neurologist. Making an accurate diagnosis of Parkinson’s — particularly in its early stages — is difficult, but a skilled doctor can come to a reasoned conclusion that it is Parkinson’s. There are no tests available to diagnose Parkinson’s disease. The Neurologist will diagnose Parkinson's disease based on your dad’s medical history, a review of his signs and symptoms, and neurological and physical examination findings. He may order tests to rule out other conditions that may be causing these symptoms.Don’t worry there are very effective medicines available which can keep symptoms in control. Just find a good Neurologist nearby & consult him.

I hope I have answered your query. Take care.
Follow-up: 67 years old with body tremor. Chances of Parkinson? 15 minutes later
Dear Dr.Amritsagar,

Thanks for the fast response.

To be honest, we have checked with most of the Neurologists in India. Some observations included overactive thyroid (test reports did not reveal anything), diabetic stress (his diabetes is at the start phase), sclerosis (he had a major accident 20 years back though tremors started 5-6 years back increasing gradually), and a suggestion also included a rare strain of Huntington's disease.

All of it actually increased the confusion instead of providing a relief. May I request you to please suggest a recommendable Neurologist who could be consulted in New Delhi or any other location in Asia?

thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 13 minutes later

I can understand your concern, but i cant suggest neurologist in your area. You should look for a neurologist who is Movement Disorder specialist.

You can check with panelist doctors (Neurologist) on XXXXXXX or Indraprastha Apollo hospital based in Delhi.