67 years old, on blood transfusions. taking cyclosphorine. side effects of medication like hematomas on tongue and throat, weight loss. Alternative treatment ?

Question
APLASTIC ANEMIA- 67 YEAR OLD MALE DIAGNOSED 3 YEARS AGO..HAS BEEN SURVIVING ON BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS ONCE A WEEK. RECENTLY PRESCRIBED CYCLOSPHORINE, HAD A REACTION TO MEDICINE AND DEVELOPED SORES/HEMATOMAS ON TONGUE AND THROAT, VERY PAINFUL AND HAS LOST 20 LBS DUE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT, ADMITTED INTO THE HOSPITAL YESTERDAY AND ANTIBIOTICS NOT WORKING?? WHAT CAN I DO ?? OR TRY?? DOCTORS IN THIS AREA OF PITTSFIELD MA NOT TOO SWIFT !! PLEASE HELP MY DAD. THANK YOU
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later
I have read your problem with concern and also noted the critical condition your father is in right now. The main treatment for aplastic anemia is blood transfusion or bone marrow transplantation.
Cyclosporine causes reduction in blood counts due to which your father developed hematomas which were painful. Now that he has been admitted to the hospital, it takes some time for the antibiotics to show response and the parenteral infusions to show effect.
All the medicines will first of all try to stop any further loss of weight in 7-10 days and then gradually will show an improvement in his health. You need to stay calm and have faith in his treating doctors.
If at all you are not satisfied with the treatment he is getting you can always have a second opinion from some other doctor after showing him all the latest blood reports and the treatment your father is getting right now.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.