66 years old. Loosing moustache and eyebrow hair. Is this related to age or something else?

I have lost most of my mustache and eyebrow hair, mostly over the past year and a half. Is this a sympthom of something other than age, I am 66 but vigorous. take bp and statins
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Loss of eyebrow and mostache hair can occur in many conditions like alopecia areata,leprosy,thyroid disease , aging etc.

As you dont have symptoms of any other diseases it can be due to alopecia areata.

Also I would like to know-

Is the hair loss patchy or diffuse?

Do you have any other systemic problems?
When did you had your blood work done?

Can you upload photos of affected area?

Photos can help in predicting the condition.

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan.
Follow-up: 66 years old. Loosing moustache and eyebrow hair. Is this related to age or something else? 1 hour later
I sent photo, does it help?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later

Ive gone through the photo.

As you have no other symptoms the hair loss is more or less due to aging.

Aging causes decreased hairs on eyebrow and moustaches also on scalp.

Also I would like you to have a Liver function test and kidney function test so as to rule out any subclinical pathology.

Hope this helps.