Ask a Urologist   »  

65 years old male, bent penis and half erection, current sexual life less satisfying. Treatment options for bent penis ?

Urologist
Question
i'm 65 yrs old and my penis has always bent relatively straight--whether erect or not. just recently(past couple of months), when erect it's turned about 45 degrees, and the erection is only about half as much as previously. it's almost like blood is only flowing to harden one side.

seemed to happen literally overnight. one day--normal. the next day, as described above. yet no trauma or injury occurred.

I have always PREVIOUSLY been satisfied with my sexual life, but the SUDDENLY bent(and half size) of current erections are less satisfying. it seems as if perhaps the blood flow which creates an erection, may be blocked on ONE side--hence half-erection and 45 degree bend.

Regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 41 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank for the query.

I can completely understand your requirements and your worry about the shape of the penis.

The hypothesis you have in your mind about one sided blood flow does not happen. You have to first understand that erection is a complex process. It involves nerves, neurotransmitter release, later a vascular phenomenon. After Neural stimulation, there is relaxation of the cavernous sinuses in around the muscles of the penis. By this there is gush of blood that flows in the sinuses which in turn presses over the veins draining from the penis. Thus the outflow is interrupted. Erection thus involves sinusoidal relaxation, arterial dilatation, and venous compression. So there is no concept of one side obstruction of the artery.

From your description, you seem to be suffering from Peyronie's disease. You need to see urologist to get diagnosed and start treatment under his care. For the time being at least avoid woman on top position as it shall aggravate your symptoms.

I hope you are following the medication dosage at regular time. They mean a lot for your current problem. Aspirin and Clopidogrel are blood thinners and Crestor is cholesterol reducing medicine. Since you are a person with history of coronary artery disease and in high risk age group, any problem in penile erection warrants a series of investigations like Doppler which your Urologist shall recommend after primary examination and counselling.

Hope this answers your question. I will be available for for follow up.

Dr. Rajiv Goel.

Follow-up: 65 years old male, bent penis and half erection, current sexual life less satisfying. Treatment options for bent penis ? 44 hours later
thank you, dr XXXXXXX goel ;

it took me quite awhile to access the answer because i didn't get a password at first. but i have one now and was able to access your answer.

i had one other thought to ask you about. my heart dr switched my cholesterol medication at about the same time this change occurred.

i switched FROM: SIMVASTATIN 40 mg(for ZOCOR) 1/day

TO: CRESTOR 5 mg 1/day

since there was no trauma to explain the sudden change(and i don't know what "congenital problem" means), do you think it could be an unintended side effect from the new cholesterol drug, CRESTOR?

thank you and i appreciate your explanation. sorry about my novice theory/guess.

best regards,

XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

i will be more careful about the TIME when i take meds ea day. didn't realize important.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

The change of medications is unlikely to cause this problem as crestor is not known to cause erectile dysfunction.

The trauma i am talking about is usual trivial and almost all patients never notice it.

Hence, the possibilty of peyronie's still exists and you should see urologist for further examination and treatment.

Follow-up: 65 years old male, bent penis and half erection, current sexual life less satisfying. Treatment options for bent penis ? 7 days later
dear dr XXXXXXX goel;

if i do have Peyronie's disease, what will the treatment most likely consist of?

thank you,

XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 11 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for the follow up.

There are at least 10-12 medications to treat Peyronie's disease and they are all being used because none is 100 % effective.

Medications such as potassium para-aminobenzoate (Potaba), acetyl L-carnitine, propionyl L-carnitine, L-arginine, sildenafil and pentoxifylline are all used.

Surgery is often done as last resort for treatment.

You should see urologist, be patient and start medications according to his advice. In the meantime do not have the woman on top position while having intercourse.