65 years old. Suffering from cold. Any advise?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Doctor I am getting continuous colds over the past five weeks. I am 65 years old and female normally fit and healthy. I eat well and healthily and am of a slim build. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Repeated attacks of cold can be allergic in origin. It can also be due to getting contaminated from an infected person. It is good that you eat good homemade food. But infection can occur even from contaminated hands. Best way to prevent contamination is to wash your hands before cooking and before eating and also after coming home from outside(market, friend's home, etc).

To treat allergic cold you can take antihistamines like Levocetrizine 5 mg daily for 5 days after getting yourself examined by your doctor.

Vitamin C helps in increasing your immunity, so try eating more foods XXXXXXX in Vitamin C like citrus fruits. Also have some regular mild exercise in fresh air daily. This will help to boost your immune system.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.