Ask a Homeopath   »  

63 years old, tennis elbow. Was on injections, ointments, painkillers. Acupuncture the right treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My father has an tennis elbow his age is 63. He underwent injection treatment, oinments & pain killers.
Currently he is undergoing acupuncture can u pl suggest if thisi s the right treatment or needs a change?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Alternative Medicine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 52 minutes later

The main treatment of tennis elbow is giving adequate rest to the arm and avoid doing any movement that causes pain at all costs. In case the adequate rest is not given the healing might take even upto six months. Using a crepe bandage might help in some immobilization and provide some rest.

Medicines like pain killers, steroids, muscle relaxants and local analgesic ointments are helpful along with regular hot fomentation for an early healing.
Acupuncture only helps in decreasing the pain sensation and does not help in the process of healing.

The treatment he is getting is alright but he must follow the instructions of his orthopedician religiously. Doing physiotherapy might hasten the recovery.

I hope this answers your query effectively. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.