63 years old. Is it safe to take mirtex 7.5mg?

Jan 2013

Actually dr prescribed to my father mirtex 7.5mg
i just want to know is it safe for my father? his age is 63yrs and pls inform me the uses of this medicine and the side effects also..
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 23 minutes later
Let me know the symptoms for which Mirtazapine was advised.

Mirtazapine is basically a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant.
Mirtazapine's primary use is the treatment of major depressive disorder and other mood disorders.
Common side effects of mirtazapine include dizziness, blurred vision, sedation, somnolence, malaise, increased appetite, weight gain as a result of increased appetite, dry mouth, constipation, and joint and muscle pain.
Though your father has history of cardiac ailments but Mirtazapine is found to be safer in such patients.
Mirtazapine very rarely causes orthostatic hypotension (low blood pressure in standing conditions).
As such use of Mirtazapine has no correlation with age of patient although this drug is contraindicated in pediatric group.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: 63 years old. Is it safe to take mirtex 7.5mg? 15 hours later
mirtex and Mirtazapine are the same medicine ?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 hours later
Mirtex is the brand name of Mirtazapine.
You can check it on the strip also.
Put your queries if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava