63 years old. Diagnosed with diabetes. Liver test done. What could be the cause?

My mother is 63 years old and has just got diagnosed with diabetes. her liver test results are the following.. what could it be due to? She used to drink alcohol but has left drinking since the last 8 years.

SGOT: 43.7
SGPT: 46
ALP: 109.4
GGT: 111.2
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Your mother's liver profile suggests a very mild liver inflammation. A long term alcohol intake can cause this. So also diabetes and obesity which causes what is now known as non alcoholic fatty liver disease. Sometimes certain medications can also cause a mild liver inflammation. Please let me know the medication list so that we can review them. You must also get done the following tests :

1. Viral markers- HBsAg and Anti HCV for hepatitis B and C respectively
2. Ultrasound of abdomen
3. Lipid profile

Once again the inflammation is very mild and with good control of diabetes and continued abstinence from alcohol, the tests should come to normal. You can repeat the liver function test after 3 months. If it continues to be high you can ask you physician to prescribe you vitamin E and medications that reduce liver inflammation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani
Follow-up: 63 years old. Diagnosed with diabetes. Liver test done. What could be the cause? 23 hours later
Thank you for your answer. We did her lipid profile and the results are normal. The medicines she has are as follows

Stamlo beta
Enace 5
Ecosprin .75
Eltroxin 100mg

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 12 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

With presence of thyroid problem (Hypothyroidism) and hypertension Non alcoholic steatohepatitis is a definite possibility. However as I said the liver inflammation is very mild and as long as she is asymptomatic from her liver point of view do not worry much about it. Get back to me if you have the ultrasound report and viral markers. Also you can send me the repeat liver function test after 3 months.

PS : Please do not take any medications that can potentially damage the liver including some ayurvedic and homeopathic preparations before checking with your doctor.

Wishing good health to your mother and your family.

Dr. Om Lakhani