62 years old with pain in leg. Is diabetic and had chicken pox. Nerve problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Hi My Name is XXXX. My mother is 62 years old. She had got chicken pocks 1 month before. After proper medication chicken pocks has gone. During the time when she was suffering from chicken pock she started getting pain in the left leg below the knee till the foot. She is suffering from pain since last one month. She is suffering from diabetic patients from past 27 years. We had gone to diabetic doctor assuming she has pain due to increase in blood suger, but according doctor, blood suger is normal.
Today we had gone to Neuro specialist doctor. He did detail examination of legs with various movements. I am hereby attaching the report provided by docter. Please advice what kind of problem my mother is facing now.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be neuropathic pain

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting the query regarding your mother's illness.
The description seems to be like a neuropathic pain.
Good medications for this problem include pregabalin and gabapentin - I have used these drugs on several patients with neuropathic pain with successful results. Her doctor will know about the medications.

Doctors reports have not been uploaded, please re upload them.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: 62 years old with pain in leg. Is diabetic and had chicken pox. Nerve problem? 3 hours later
Hi Doctor

Thanks you very much for your response. I am hereby uploading the doctor report & medication. You will be able to find clear understanding of the problem my mother is facing and also the medication insisted by

Awaiting for your response.

Thanks & Regards

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have reviewed the doctor's notes

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting the doctor's notes. The doctor is suspecting one of the two problems:

1. Pinched nerve at lower back region, due to slipped disc (this can be confirmed by MRI scan of lumbar spine),
2. Neuropathy due to diabetes mellitus (this happens in people with diabetes where the leg nerves get affectecd).

You can follow the medicines as advised by the doctor.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: 62 years old with pain in leg. Is diabetic and had chicken pox. Nerve problem? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor

Thanks for the reply.

With regard to point no. 1, please let me know whether medication provided by doctor is enough to resolve the issue or operations is required. Suggest how risky it is get operated at the age of 62 years. My mother is very thin & week.

With regard to point no. 2, please suggest whether medication provided by doctor will help to curse the problem.

Awaiting for your reply.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Current medications are enough in majority

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

Surgery is not required in about 90% of cases, and needed only when medical treatment falls in about 10% of patients. If needed, surgery is safe in 62 year old.

Medications are enough for point no 2 also.

The exact treatment decision can be made once we have the reports of tests ordered. So, please get back once they are avaialble.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology)