62 years old. Have flu with fever, mouth sore and rashes on forearm. Any treatment?

Allergist and Immunologist
I am sixty- two year old female. Flu symptoms including fevers up to 103, for last 3 days. Also mouth sores and just now a flat mosaic like rash on one forearm only. My husband also has same symptoms less sores and rash
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Flu symptoms with raised temperature, mouth sores and a rash is highly suggestive of a viral infection such as herpes virus. Cold sores are a feature of herpes zoster causes a (painful) rash on the body, usually following a nerve distribution. It is more likely to occur in individuals who have had chicken pox in the past.
Aciclovir cream for the mouth and or tablets for 5 days should be sufficient

Sometimes a cold sore is indicative of a chest infection, and when the body's immune system is stressed while fighting an infection, these viruses emerge from the body hiding in the nerves. So it is important a Chest X XXXXXXX is done if you have any symptoms of a chest infection (such as cough, feeling short of breath etc).

I hope this was helpful.
Best Wishes.