62 year old having fever, chills and diaphoresis. What treatment should be done?

62 year old male with fever chills, diaphoresis achiness x 3 days. HTN hx.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations.

My first concern is that there might be some type of systemic infection going on. These infections sometimes originate from particular areas of the body such as the throat or the chest. In that case we often discuss pneumonia. Other possible causes of the symptoms include infections which originate in the urinary bladder. Sometimes a severe skin infection could even cause these symptoms.

Also sometimes influenza can cause these types of fevers chills and body aches.

In your case I recommend that you have a thorough consultation with a physician very soon. Ideally this should occur today. The reason why I recommend this is because we know that treating severe infections early results in better overall outcomes and less problems with long-term illnesses.

It does not sound like you have any type of cardiovascular issue going on. This sounds more like there is some type of infection.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be informative and helpful. If you have any additional concerns regarding this issue please do not hesitate to ask.

Dr. Robert