60 years old. Taking xanax 0.25mg and celexa 80mg. Any chances of heart disease?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
I am on Celexa, generic, at 80mg. I take two 40mg every morning. I wasn't too worried until I read the FDA about anyone over 60 should not take high doses. I, also, take 0.25mg of Xanax as needed. I tried the lower doses of Celexa and it did not seem to help. Maybe I did not give it enough time. I talked w/the doctors office and she said to continue the 80mg and we will talk about it on my next visit which is a few months away. I'm just scared. I don't want any heart problems. Do you know of others who take this amount of Celexa. Thanks
Posted Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 20 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I am afraid but your concerns are fully justified. Celexa (Citalopram) maximum adult dosage in most of the guidelines has been reduced to 40 mg/day from the earlier value of 60 mg/day. Moreover above 60 yrs and especially who have a cardiac problem or those on QT prolonging drug, the dose should not exceed 20mg/day.
Now with this information, your 80 mg/day citalopram is way higher than recomended especially if you have a diagnosed cardiopathy.
But please understand that there is no need to panic. Although these are guidelines specified dosage, a very small percentage of people have any cardiac problem with such high dosage. Moreover stopping these drugs at this high dosage will cause further withdrawal side-effects.
I suggest that you should change your psychiatrist and take a second opinion and reduce your citalopram dosage. In case citalopram does give you relief, then you should be switched to some other anti depressant.
Try adding cognitive behavioural therapy and exercises to your current treatment and you will surely benefit.
Hope I am able to solve your query.
I will be happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you are satisfied by the answer, you can close the query and rate the answer and write a review if possible.
In future if you want a direct and detailed discussion about your problems, you can contact me on the following link:
WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!

Follow-up: 60 years old. Taking xanax 0.25mg and celexa 80mg. Any chances of heart disease? 26 hours later
Thank you for your very helpful advice.

What is the difference between Lexapro and Celexa?

I told the doctor I had taken Lexapro in the past and it worked. She said, Celexa was the same thing and prescribed it.

I diffently will see about getting on a lower dose of Celexa or some other anti depressant. I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Thank You,

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Celexa is Citalopram.
Citalopram has two enantiomers (R) and (S).
They observed that (S) enantiomer was the one which was producing the benefit in depression. So they isolated the (S) enantiomer and named it as Escitalopram also called as Lexapro.
More or less they are equally effective, Lexapro is newer and is a derivative of Celexa.
Nice to know that you unederstood the need for reduction of dosage.
Hope I am able to solve your query.
If you are satisfied by the answer, you can close the query and rate it accordingly and provide a review if possible.
In future You can contact me directly on this link as well:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: 60 years old. Taking xanax 0.25mg and celexa 80mg. Any chances of heart disease? 19 hours later
My Cardiologist that I saw today, 6 mo ck up showed on the ekg that I did have high P QT and advised not to take Celexa. I called my doctor and ask to slowly come off of Celexa. She had her asst to call and tell me how to slowly go off, but, would not call me anything else in to try. She said to see how I did off Celexa first. I have been on depression meds a long time. I don't want to not take any. I am going to look for another doctor, I guess.
Would Lexapro have the same kind of problems about the heart as Celexa. I use to take Lexapro. I know they are in the same family.
Any advice on meds. I know that is a hard question to answer just thru this discussion.
Thank you for the advice you gave to me. It was good.

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 4 hours later
Lexapro is relatively safe when you have QT related problem. It is quite safe if taken in appropriate doses. Not to exceed 20 mg in any case.
Also consider exercises and cognitive behavioural therapy trained to you by your therapist. It has a good effect with literally no side-effect.
Hope I am able to solve your query.

WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!